Wednesday 20 March 2013

What's-on-my-Bookshelf Wednesday



Just recently, I acquired this lovely book...




I love Gladys Peto's illustrations!




Quintessential Art Deco styling...




Gladys Peto was a children's book illustrator and writer, an advertising illustrator and a fashion designer as well as a sometime travel writer and costume and theatre set designer.  Influenced by Aubrey Beardsley, she was a household name between the two World Wars.  




Her art work was used to create pretty Tuscan Ware sets...




...and if you ever come across one of her books of hankies, do try to buy it (they're worth a small fortune!)




Strange that she is now so little known...




I love the black and white illustrations.

I'm not sure what  a Boojum dog is (I will have to read the story, perhaps!) but I'm sure I'd like one!




This tale was penned by Gladys's husband.






This one makes me think of a Dr Who story...





But even better than the black-and-white are, of course, the colour plates!




Magical places




Homely places




Far away places




Mysterious places





I'm sure Gladys's beautiful books transported many a child on delightful adventures.

What books did you like to read, or gaze at, as a child?




PS Talking of books, I put six in the post yesterday.  I'm really sorry if the mice didn't pull your name out of the hat this time, but will be in touch with Jill, Briony and Penny when I finish my next batch  to see if they fancy any of those instead!  

Oh and Gill (with a G) - the mice DID pull your name but my attempts to find your email have failed, so if you leave me a comment with either your email or address, I won't publish it, but will get in touch!

17 comments:

  1. What marvelous books and illustrations! Just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had never heard of her, but I love the look of her work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aren't the dresses in the illustrations gorgeous... the fabrics are exquisite. Looking forward to receiving my parcel .. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful book, the font on the cover alone is beautiful!
    I was one for faery tales as a little one, my mum gave me a Pixie O'Harris book with lovely colour plates. I also liked the Teddy Robinson books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh teddy Robinson! My daughter loved those too!
      x

      Delete
  5. this book reminds me of Lucie Attwell, do you remember her children. My daughter has a full round face when she was small and reminded me of Lucie's children.
    Your book portrays the innocence of the time doesn't it?
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Divine Gorgeous oh so lovely. I have a book illustrated by Margaret. W. Tarrant with delightful illustrations too.
    I adore Aubrey Beardsley's work too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha - the first thing I saw yesterday afternoon when I went in to start sorting was a Margaret Tarrant book. I passed it on to the young manageress and made sure she knew how collectable Tarrant's books are, so hopefully they'll get a good price for it!
      x

      Delete
  7. That's stunning. I have a small collection of old children's books/annuals and the ones from the 20s/30s are invariably beautiful. Those illustrations are beautiful, thanks for sharing them.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful illustrations they really are something. Love old books and am always on the lookout for more. I used to love the books illustrated by Mabel Lucie Atwell. She created so many lovely nostalgic drawings for children's books.
    Patricia x

    ReplyDelete
  9. BEAUTIFUL artwork, the little girls' dresses are wonderful. There is such close attention to detail and stunning colours.

    I had never heard of Gladys Peto.

    This book is a wonderful acquisition, thank you for sharing these gorgeous images with us.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful pictures. They bring back memories of a couple of her books that I had. They were given to me by an elderly neighbour when was about 7. I remember a book of bedtime stories I had and I think there was an annual too. In the day I had very dark hair with bangs and a short bob like some of the little girls in the picture. I loved those books. I wish I had them now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love those 20s and 30s hairstyles. It is a shame to part with loved books!
      x

      Delete
  11. Such a beautiful style! I love her illustrations and remember them from some books (now long gone sadly) from when I was little in the 70's. I'd love to try my hand at drawing in a similar style.... Hmmm... Have to see if I can find a book or two somewhere. Em x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck hunting - they do come up on ebay from time to time, but I've always had to hold back as they go for quite a lot of money! Just occasionally I get lucky and nab a bargain!
      x

      Delete
  12. Oh my goodness, that book is amazing. I love love love the illustrations. Going to have to look out for this book (hopefully at a good price) x

    ReplyDelete