Tuesday 17 April 2012

A week (and a bit) without sewing

When Miss U-t-B and I set off for the airport on Easter Sunday, I left all things stitchy at home.  I had toyed with the idea of a small tin with a selection of threads, and perhaps the Autumn cross-stitch that is still a long way from being finished, or some small scraps of felt upon which to embroider cottage flowers.  But knowing that the metal-ness of a tin, plus the terrorist threat nature of any needles I would need to take with me, would attract the attention of security (we were only taking hand luggage) and then be confiscated, I decided instead to leave it all behind and go 'cold turkey' whilst away...

I know they do have needles in France, and that I could have bought some, but I thought I'd turn my mind to other things.

My morning hours were mostly taken up with skiing or with a bit of piste-side recuperation...


...or a bit of scenery admiration...


That's Lake Léman,alias Lake Geneva, and the Jura mountains in the distance

In the slushy afternoons, my time was mostly, and enjoyably, taken up with this...


and a re-read of this...



This was followed by much planning in my head of a new career, as a screenwriter, no less. I had the opening scenes all planned, and had also sorted out various actors and actresses that I was going to approach to participate in this inaugural venture.  Imagine if you will a stellar cast (Romola Garai, Kate Winslet, Emma Thompson, Judi Dench, Jim Broadbent, Richard Armitage, perhaps Eddie Redmayne or Douglas Booth to draw in the younger female audience...)  It was going to be great!

But then I read that Kenneth Brannagh is already working on a film of the book! 
Boo!

(Kate Winslet is meant to be in it too!)

ANYWAY...

Thursday afternoon we set off back home, arriving at some ungodly hour of the morning on Friday.  A few loads of washing and a bit of supermarket shopping later and it was Saturday morning and we were jumping in the car again, heading for South Yorkshire and the 18th birthday celebrations of one of Mr U-t-B's lovely nieces.

Most of the photos from said party are rubbish - neither Miss U-t-B nor myself being very good at getting the prime-snapping spot when all around are also wishing to snap away!  But this photo made me smile...


...looking, as it does, like we were taking part in a strange game of 'Musical Statues'.

Sunday morning and I set off to a big car boot sale just outside Guildford.  I mooched around for a while, as, very sensibly, I had gone by myself.  I had in mind certain things I was on the lookout for. Needless to say I didn't find those, though I didn't come back empty handed!

A nice tray, a pretty frame, some Ladybird books, a string of very Deco buttons, varied linens...


Some bright-round-the-edges and faded-in-the-middle floral fabric...




A hexy quilt...


...which benefited from a good wash.


A sweet mix of blue prints and lining fabric - very thrifty!




Most of the linens have holes or stains.  My FAVOURITE sort!  I can cut them up without any guilt!






Monday morning I could withstand the separation no longer and I skittered towards the sewing machine, with the red floral in my clammy hands.

Back with what I made another time!

8 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a great vacation! I'm glad they're making a movie of the Guernsey....., we loved the book and I think Kate Winslet will be great in the lead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had a good holiday. Love the 'statues' photo.
    Brilliant finds at the boot fair, the quilt is wonderful. I'm going to my first fair of the year on Sunday, not looking for anything in particular just 'treasure'!
    Carol xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look forward to seeing what you make with your lovely fabrics x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jess & I are planning to book a pitch at a boot fair. She has a lot of books to sell now she has her Kindle. I plan a good clear out once the decorating gets started. Anything we don't sell will be donated to the charity shop but I'd like to try to get a few pennies first.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you had a good holiday. You got some good buys at the car booty the quilt is FAB. I love looking for old linens and have had them given to me sometimes because they have holes in them. One lady said oh its so old and holey you dont want that do you. Yes please said I then she gave it me. Yeah. I have made a pledge to myself that I can't buy any more til I have used some up or sold it on Ebay as my stash is ridiculous. I like a challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The life of the rich and famous on the ski slopes. :-)

    I think you made up for your lack of needle and thread with your great finds at the car boot sale. I especially love the next to last photo of the basket (or vase) filled with flowers.

    Hugs from Holland ~
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like you had a nice relaxing time on your holiday. And such lovely finds at the car boot sale. There is nothing like that here in Norway, just the sesonal flea markeds.

    Looking forward to seeing what you make with your materials.

    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your comment about the Hilsea lido! Brilliant. Enjoyed hearing about your hols.. odd to think there is still snow to ski on.. I had my alpine fix months ago! Lizzie x

    ReplyDelete