Thursday 3 February 2011

The glamorous 30s, 40s and 50s

I've been scanning in a few photos for my aunt today, a job I love and could waste lots of time at, poring over each snap and picking out the details that seem to tell the story.  Mostly, today's photos are of my grandparents in the 1930s or my Mum and my aunt in the 1950s.  How come everyone looked so effortlessly stylish back then?


My great aunt, my great-grandmother and my lovely Granny, in Argentina, around 1933.  Although Granny was born near Oxford, she emigrated to Argentina as a small child, due to my great-grandfather being advised to move to a warmer climate for health reasons. As he lived on till his mid nineties, the warmer climate certainly did the trick!


My Grandad and my great-grandfather (the one who emigrated for health reasons). 


Granny looking cool and stylish in white!






Great cars!  Not sure I'd fancy long journeys in mountainous terrain in one of these, though. The last of the three photos was taken on the Argentine-Chilean border, which I'm sure means the Andes!


 I think this is my great-grandfather again.  Looks like a man living the good life!


I love this one of my grandparents and my aunt,  I can imagine it being sent to all the family 'back home' at Christmas time.


My aunt and my Mum.  Fancy dress in the days before political correctness...


My Mum, Granny and aunt on holiday in Ireland in 1952. This was the first time my Mum left South America, travelling by sea, of course.


Travelling style!

 What would your preferred travelling style be - heels, hats and corsages or sweatshirt, joggers and trainers?


4 comments:

  1. Wonderful pictures - lucky you to have such a great record of your family. I do wish life was a little more stylish these days - I don't like to think of the pictures our great, great grandchildren will look back on, although there will probably be thousands, thanks to digital!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So elegant! I'd love to be that perfect when I travel.......but I'm NOT! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous photos. They did seem efforlessly stylish back then & when you think they probably wouldn't have had a washing machine !
    I love my old family photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love these photos!! The ladies look so elegant, don't they?
    Thanks for your comments on my blog. My life is a bit hectic at the mo and I don't get around to commenting as much as I ought.
    Have a lovely week ;-) x

    ReplyDelete