Tuesday 6 September 2011

A Day at The Maltings

On Saturday I was up at 5.30 to get ready for the market at  'The Maltings' in Farnham.  Now that Mr U-t-B is almost back to full fitness in the back department, I was lucky to have him helping, and for company, which made the job of setting up far quicker.  

Here's my stall once it was set up.  I had borrowed an extra fold-up table from Mr U-t-B's work and that was really useful as somehow, over the summer (especially as I didn't do last month's market in case we decided to go away for a break) I seem to have accumulated quite a bit of stock...


I have realised that it is a good idea to take a photo and study it, as you see things a bit differently to when you are there.  I'm making a mental note to change the drape over my shelving unit - the logo is too big and I always end up covering the bit that says 'Used-to-Bees' - so much for developing a memorable identity!


As this was the first time Mr U-t-B had been with me for months, I treated myself to a wander round the nearly 200 stalls whilst he 'held the fort'.  There is so much to look at and be tempted by, from antiques to crafts and art, food, jewellery and clothing. Needless to say I spend most of my time in front of stalls with the pre-loved-in-need-of-a-new-home.  

I had a good rummage in a basket of linens and lace and purchased these lovelies...


A green linen tray cloth, ready to embroider, to have something to do when I'm sitting at The Maltings in quiet times...


..and two length of good quality broderie anglaise.

I was also on the receiving end of some lovely gifts, all from the lovely Betty who has a fabulous antiques stall next to mine.  She gave me this lovely long slip for under a christening robe...


The lace is beautiful, and there's so much of it!

Then this holey mat, which has plenty of salvageable bits...


And then this adorable baby garment - not sure if it would have been dress or nightdress?


It has the kind of delicate embroidery that I admire on 'The Old Fashioned Baby Sewing Room' blog. It needs a little soak, after which I think it will hang in my sewing room looking decorative!


Thank you, Betty!

Later in the day, I pounced on this beautiful trio, which I'd been gazing at since setting up time, on the stall across from me.  Everytime someone picked it up I was mentally willing them to put it down - I have a rule that I don't spend until I have earnt a bit, so was hoping it would still be there later in the day!  


Luckily my 'it's-not-for-you-put-it-down' vibes worked for the morning and I was able to snap it up before it disappeared into someone else's basket!

Pretty, eh?

6 comments:

  1. This brings back memories for me. We used to go to the Maltings antique fairs years ago when my inlaws were alive as they lived in Lower Bourne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your stall looked fab this Saturday, I was too busy chatting with you to say!

    oooh I meant to go back to Betty's stall, she was surrounded by people when I was there but she had a lovely 40s dress on her stall that I wanted but I forgot, bet it won't be there next month!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the teacup and saucer - very pretty!
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your stall looks great - so many goodies to choose from. I'm glad you were able to get your trio as a reward for your hard work, and of course all your fabric related freebies! The teacup is very pretty indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I wish this market was near me, I would love to have a good look around it, 200 stalls that sounds like heaven.
    Your stall looks fab and with so much to see, just the type of stall I am attracted to.
    You should be glad I was't there though, your vibes wouldn't have put me off that gorgeous, gorgeous trio!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your stand looked lovely I love all your things! Would have loved to have been there, love your lace finds, I have a real passion for lace.
    Andrea x

    ReplyDelete