Friday 23 September 2011

A Shift in the Seasons

Only a week or so ago I was busy making these...




...and somehow it still felt summery. Thoughts of the seaside, with warm salty breezes, seaweed and calling gulls weren't too far away.

But now my thoughts have turned. 

I am thinking of warm blackberry and apple crumble with lashings of custard, deep piles of leaves in every imaginable red or golden hue, ripening fruit, cosy socks and dew-spangled cobwebs.  I'm  contemplating evenings in front of the woodburner, stew and dumplings and my lovely green winter coat.

I've also been thinking of toadstools and hedgehogs.

And I've been making these!


Stamp cases...


...and notebooks, large and small...


Today is the autumnal equinox.  I always thought that each new season began on the 21st of the relevant month, but have now discovered that it varies from season to season, and from year to year.  So today, 23rd September at precisely 09:04, autumn begins!

What will you be looking forward to this autumn?
Or if you are in the southern hemisphere, what will you be looking forward to this spring?




PS.  Thanks for all the lovely comments about my Japanese adventure!  It really was much easier than you might think, or I'd never have managed it!

11 comments:

  1. Love the notebooks - and the new blog header!
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do know what you mean...autumn is my favorite season and I just feel it in my very soul. Your stamp cases and notebook covers are ADORABLE! I love both mushrooms and hedgehogs so they are perfect together. It makes me long to see the first of the red mushrooms with white dots in the woods soon...

    Hugs from Holland ~
    Heidi

    P.S. - Love the new photo for your header.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are these the 'things' you were meaning? They're fab! Did you get any patterns at tiny owl knits? I want loads of them!
    Happy Autumn...x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your makes look lovely, stamp cases what a great idea. Love the new banner too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice new header! Love the little hedgehogs on your covers. Clever you. Have a great weekend. M x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Alix,
    I love your new header and autumn projects. Your little hedgehogs are gorgeous and stamp covers are a brilliant idea, I am always losing mine and finding them screwed up in the bottom of my handbag!x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your mushrooms and hedgehog creations. Stamp book covers - what a really good idea.
    Carol xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, yes it's me... I was just visiting old haunts & not blogging much ! I LOVE Autumn especially if the sun shines as it's doing a lot ! Love your Autumn work & the type writer takes me back to my grand father's desk.

    I used your lovely wallet all summer but have put it away til next year now along with my summer bags.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute hedgehogs and toadstools!

    We always try and wait until October 1st before the heating goes on (I don't know why, it's just become our silly target) but I must admit the last few evenings have been mighty chilly!

    LOVE your new blog header!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeously seasonal post. Love the little toadstools and hedgehog which is now endangered in England apparently. 50 million to 1.5 million in 50 years. Enjoy your Sunday. Eli x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your new autumn makes, they capture the season so well. Stamp cases are a great idea, and I specially love toadstools. Your new header is lovely. I do love this season, and all the same things that you describe in this lovely atmospheric post.Have a happy week. Helen x

    ReplyDelete