Sunday 26 May 2013

Tracks of my Years - 1970



Now where were we?

1969 last week, so now we're entering a whole new decade.  

The 1970s...

It's funny when you look back and think about the decade you feel you 'belong' to.  For me the 1970s are, for better AND worse, what I associate myself with most strongly.  Rather strange considering I have now lived through the better part of four other decades, during which time I have  done far more, and more memorable, things.  


So what was in the news?


The break-up of The Beatles 


The near-disastrous Apollo 13 mission 


The age of majority being reduced from 21 to 18 in the UK


British Leyland announcing the end of Morris Minor production.  How could they?



The Mark III Cortina going on sale. How could they?




20 year old Richard Branson starting the Virgin group




In spite of their motivational and uplifting song 'Back Home', the England team failing to retain the Football World Cup.


The first Glastonbury Festival being held  




Jon Pertwee becoming the new Doctor Who.




'A Question of Sport', 'Mr Benn' and 'The Goodies' showing on TV for the first time; 'Andy Pandy', 'Randall and Hopkins (Deceased)' and 'Scooby Doo, Where Are You?' bowing out.





At the cinema

(Tissues ready for the first one...)








(Feel this one might be useful in an episode of 'Pointless'  - Films of Barbra Streisand)





On the radio

Mungo Jerry - In The Summertime
(with some of the dodgiest lyrics since Gary Puckett's 'Young Girl' two years previously)

Simon and Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water

Lee Marvin - Wanderin' Star  

The Jackson Five - I Want You Back

The Carpenters - Close To You

Sacha Distel - Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head  

(Try to tell me you don't see Paul Newman on a bike now! BTW if you watch the video on YouTube you will see that this could never be made nowadays.  Two people on one bike, an apple, a trailing skirt, precarious perching by a barn door and bicycle stunts on rough ground - Health and Safety would never allow it!)

Bob and Marcia Young - Young, Gifted and Black

Bread - Make It With You

Marvin Gaye - Abraham, Martin and John
(which always brings me to tears...)

T-Rex - Ride A White Swan

Joni Mitchell - Big Yellow Taxi

But for this week's musical clip, having established my love of cheesy pop earlier in the week (must go and listen to Malta's Eurosong again!) I present to you 'The Partridge Family'...
  






(And now, once David Cassidy has faded from your mind, tell me you don't see Hugh Grant...)


Here's another picnic photo.  Picnics really were the thing, and seems like we always had picnic weather in the summers back them (Ahem!)


This time we're in the New Forest (quite a way from home - a big adventure) with family friends.  I think we may have gone there due to my disappointment at having gone for a camping holiday earlier in the summer with my 'best' friend David, only to come down with German Measles a day into the trip, and having to be fetched home!


We spent lots of time with this family - the two girls were the same ages as my sister and I and their brother was more or less my brother's age - perfect companions.  I always think of Parma Violets, trying to pick out the tune of 'Oh My Darling Clementine' on a guitar, pretend wedding ceremonies, yellow bridesmaids' dresses, 'Long-haired Lover From Liverpool' (well, not all memories can be pleasant!) and the Jackson Five when I think of our times together.  




Where would you go for a picnic, given a pleasant sunny day and good company?

3 comments:

  1. Sigh Paul Newman - so gorgeous. The Aristocats one of my favourite Disney films. I named my cat Daphne after the character in Scooby Doo.

    Mill Lawn near Burley is perfect for a picnic. Lots of winding streams for children to play in & New Forest ponies to watch ( and not get too close too ! )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul Newman images here ... that has to be my all time favourite movie scene.... you made me giggle but you are so right health and safety would have a field day these days. David Cassidy too ... my day is made. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness Alix, what memories. This has certainly brought a smile to my face (and the odd Oh no! ) it wasn't my decade, mine was definitely the one before, but can't believe how much of this I remember. Picnic! Yesterday in glorious sunshine my garden would have done but as I look out on the rain, again! I'm thinking Menorca!!

    ReplyDelete