Wednesday 22 September 2010

Buttons, ribbons and garden sewing


It's been the perfect autumn day today.  A misty morning, dew-speckled cobwebs and that kind of sunshine that breaks through mid-morning and reminds you how lovely September is.


So time for a bit of outdoor craftiness.

Our garden is rather small - it's not quite perfectly formed, but I love it all the same!





Since last week I had on-and-off been creating some slipcovers for notebooks, some with vintage labels and some with some girly, Paris-inspired fabric.  Mr U-t-B was very keen that I get them finished as he thinks they will be popular at next month's Maltings Market.  I was a bit slow though because all sorts of things had gone wrong along the way.  First, some of the labels I was so excited about creating from the children's book illustrations were a bit rubbish - too pale or too small to use - what a waste of effort (and the precious 'Bubble Jet Set 2000' liquid)!  Then I chose some paler, thinner fabrics for the backing, and regretted it because the lining fabric showed through.  So I decided to add some padding, using up some dressing gown-type remnants I'd been given by a very kind friend last week (thanks, Liz!).  And then the covers seemed too bulky...

Anyway... 
Today I decided to finish them off - maybe they'd look better then.  First the girly ones got some ribbon and a vintage button...


Then some golf themed ones...


Can you read the quote?

'I'm gambling that when we get into the next life, Saint Peter will look at us and ask, 'Golfer?'  And when we nod, he will step aside and say, 'Go right in.  You've suffered enough.'  

Jim Murray
 
And finally some chocolate themed ones!


Also with quotes.


'There are 4 basic food groups: milk chocolate, dark chocolate, white chocolate and chocolate truffles.'

Anonymous
'Make a list of important things to do today.  At the top of the list, put 'eat chocolate'.  Now you'll get at least one thing done today.'

Gina Hayes 
I never met a chocolate I didn't like. 

Deanna Troi

In the end, they do look okay though I'm not wholly convinced about that padding.  But look at my poor finger now...


Time to learn how to use a thimble, methinks!

No comments:

Post a Comment