Tuesday 14 September 2010

Children's Book Illustrations


After yesterday's fun with travel posters and luggage labels, today I wanted to turn my attention to the second of my new books, 'Classic Children's Book Illustrations'.  This has oodles of both familiar and unfamiliar work and is arranged in roughly chronological order, so the mid-Victorian illustrators (such as Edward Lear and John Tenniel) come early in the book and the bits I prefer, with Art Nouveau and Art Deco influences, come towards the end. 
Sadly though, the book comes to a halt at 1923, which means that two of my favourites don't even get a look in!  So, whilst I get more sheets of fabric ready to print (a process which requires lots of short bursts of activity then medium sized pauses to make sure the colours are fast) I thought I'd come to the computer and share some of the loveliness that is the work of Gladys Peto and Rie Cramer!

I think I first happened upon a book illustrated by Gladys Peto on ebay a couple of years ago.  I did quite a lot of drooling over it , but having no  plausible excuse for buying, I sadly had to let the cyber hammer come down without bidding.   The style of the illustrations stayed with me, and a few months later I could no longer resist and managed to buy 'Schoolgirl Stories' at a knockdown price.
  Here's my favourite of the colour plates.
Cute dog!

Ever had this feeling?
Another colour plate... 
Unfortunately most of the Gladys Peto books on ebay, Amazon and so on are exorbitantly expensive.  But if you like the style, here's a link to an interesting blog where you can enjoy lots of examples of Gladys's work:

These Rie Cramer illustrations capture some aspects of the weather here in Hampshire today - it's blowing a hoolie out there!

Wish it was still like this:


Though I am rather partial to this:

Not forgetting the joys of this:


I have now managed to treat, dry, iron, stick, trim, and print some more bits of vintage art, so I'm off to do some stitching (once I've washed dried, Wondawebbed and trimmed them that is...is this a bit of a palaver or what?)




No comments:

Post a Comment