Friday 6 May 2011

Recycling old handkerchiefs

Before she goes off to 

this Sunday 8th May 2011
10am-4pm

Poppy...


...finally relented and said I could take snaps of her in her undies
 (or maybe it's that I only just finished them...)

First her knickers...


These were made from a pretty hanky with a sweet  print.  I cut them so as to use the original bound edges of the hanky instead of hemming them.


Then her slip...



Again, it is made from old hankies.  One had a pretty posy in the corner...


And the second a 'P' monogram...


Again, I used the rolled hem of the original hanky for the hem of the slip.  I had to bind the arm and neck edges with bias binding, and it fastens at the back with the tiniest of mother-of-pearl buttons and a loop.

She's now subtly demanding a pair of shoes, but as I'm off to work now, my cobbling duties will have to be later!

8 comments:

  1. What lovely undies she has - I'm a little envious! I hope you have a great weekend. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great use of hankies! A very stylish Poppy! Have a good weekend! Abby x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the dolly - good luck with the fair!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. At least she's got some!!!!! only kidding they're gorgeous I'm jealous, might go and did out some hankies.....xx :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Alix, she looks stunning. You clever thing you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful idea for hankies ~ just beautiful! You do so well to sew such sweet little things! Hope you have a great weekend, Love Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did you see this book:

    http://salssnippets.blogspot.com/2011/03/vintage-hankies-for-doll-sized-fashions.html

    So you are off to Farnham Maltings...lucky you...say hello to Alice and Ginny who are the loveliest people and have a stall there! ;-) x

    ReplyDelete
  8. lucky girl. In the Charity shop we giggle about putting panties on dollies for their modesty. One even had a spare pair popped in her handbag !

    ReplyDelete