Wednesday 4 May 2011

Banana Milkshake Cake

 Ever left with some of these hanging around?



Well turn them into a delicious Banana Milkshake Cake!

It used to be just 'Banana Cake' but 

a) I got fed up with the ingredients being in cups  - so I weighed them out for a more 
Heston-Blumenthal-scientific-type approach 

and 

b) I am too bone idle to make the cake in the slightly laborious and messy method originally suggested so decided to create my own method, which involves bananas plus milk in a liquidiser hence the new name.

Into a large bowl put:


330g of plain flour
350g of caster sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons of baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons of bicarbonate of soda
1  teaspoon of salt


Give it a quick stir!






Then put into the liquidiser:

3 ripe bananas (I was going to say 'manky' but it didn't sound right to be putting manky ingredients in!)
180ml milk, mixed with 1 teaspoon of white wine or cider vinegar
2 eggs 
165g butter or margarine (okay - so it's not quite like a milkshake!)

Give it a quick whizz.  It will look a bit curdled but do not panic.  I do believe this is partly what makes it sort of dense and luscious!





Pour the 'milkshake' into the dry ingredients and stir to combine.


Put into a greased and floured tin (or, if you want to go the extra mile, you could line it).  I use a 9 inch springform tin.




Bake at 350 degrees F/180 degrees C/160 degrees fan oven/ Gas Mark 4 for about 45-50 minutes.


I then either whip up a bit of butter icing (to please Miss U-t-B, who can afford to eat as much cake and icing as she likes) or use Philadelphia, with a grating of orange zest, to coat it.  Sometimes I can't even be bothered to do this - the cake still disappears quick as a flash.

Then sit down with a good cuppa (this one in Miss U-t-B's very stylish - from The Buckingham Palace Shop no less - William and Kate's wedding mug) some nice music (Caro Emerald for choice) and enjoy!


PS  Mr U-t-B was so keen to have a second slice of this last night that he's going to buy me the Caro Emerald CD to pay me back for my generosity!  Result!

7 comments:

  1. Yummo! What a great recipe ~ thank you for sharing it! Sadly, I'll have to wait a while before we have any bananas that go soft - they're in short supply over here at the moment and $12.99 a kilo! Love Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummmyyyyy...off to make one now. can't resist the temptation! Do you mind if I copy this recipe and share it with a friend (not the entire interweb) :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum I just threw some soft bananas in the compost for the hens to eat. Jess makes a lovely banana loaf but yours does loook good !

    I love the photos in your previous post x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the way your pics have told the story of the banana cake looks very yummy, I made one at the weekend but it didn't come out like this

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is my sort of baking! Thank you for your lovely comment on my blog. Enjoy the rest of the week. Lizzie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds lovely! Next time my nanas go manky I'm going to try this! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice mug....yummy looking cake:)

    ReplyDelete