Monday, 4 April 2011

Angels to the rescue - a day of ups and downs

First of all, thanks to all of you who sent helpful comments my way regarding my naughty sewing machine.  I haven't managed to sort it out myself and have pretty much reached the end of sort-it-yourself possibilities, so on Saturday, as I waited for customers at The Maltings, I pondered what to do next.  

The dilemma was whether to try to get the machine fixed (but where? The local sewing machine shop closed down a few years back when the owner died, and there isn't one another anywhere nearby that I know of) or to save and buy a new one.

One of the things I love about my Saturdays at The Maltings is that I get to chat to lots of nice (and often crafty) people.  And one lovely lady I got talking to the day before yesterday said she knew someone in Alton (about 10 miles away, I suppose) who services and fixes sewing machines.  She kindly offered to find the number and ring me with it!  

Yay!  Decision made! 

Anyway, after The Maltings, Miss U-t-B and I made plans and preparations for Mothering Sunday, shopping for food for a nice lunch and making one of the puddings. We then headed to bed early in order to be able to rise with the lark to go to a good Car Boot Sale just outside Guildford together.   This was just what I fancied doing!

We had no need for an alarm to wake us up early as unfortunately 
Mr U-t-B's back problem decided to choose the early part of Mothering Sunday (about 5ish) to take a definite, and excruciatingly painful, turn for the worse...I now truly know the meaning of the phrase 'climbing the walls with pain'.  He even managed to give himself friction burns on his forehead,  kneading it in a vain attempt to relieve the agony!  It was clear that nothing I could do was making any difference, so in the end I called 999...  Within ten minutes or so, the paramedics (the first two angels of the day) had arrived and they quickly administered Entonox (gas and air) to Mr U-t-B, who was lying on the landing by this time, with one leg propped up on an armchair!  They then organised a prescription for strong painkillers and anti-inflamatory/muscle-relaxant medication, and kept him on the Entonox long enough to gradually get him moved to somewhere a bit more suitable (we were going to trip over him where he was!)  They were fantastic.

So, we didn't go to the Car Boot in the end (there's always another one, another weekend!) but instead I headed off to pick up the prescription from the out-of-hours surgery and then to the supermarket, when it finally opened, to pick up the medication.

When I got home, Miss U-t-B had laid out a little surprise on the breakfast bar - some lovely flowers, a baked-by-her lemon drizzle cake, a sweet card with a beautiful message and an interestingly squidgy package!  And inside the squidgy package was a very jolly patchwork half-apron, made entirely with her own fair hands!  

She bought all the fabrics on ebay - chip off the old block!
My third angel of the day!

Miss U-t-B helped me prepare lunch as my Mum and brother were coming over (my Dad and my sister were both busy with work commitments).  We made Coq au Vin and served it with creamy mashed potato, green beans and carrots, then followed it with Meringues and berries or Limoncello Panna Cotta with a berry sauce.  All of which was rather nice, if I do say so myself!

After lunch my Mum said she had to fetch something from the car.  Something for me, from our family friend Sheila.  Something heavy, so I needed to go and help.  Miss U-t-B and my brother were smiling in a rather knowing way and I'm surprised nobody tapped their nose and that the words 'nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more' weren't uttered. I was most perplexed.  

So off we ambled down the road, and my Mum opened the boot and there inside was...

...a sewing machine!  Not just for borrows, but for keeps!  And not just any old sewing machine, but a very good and clever one - a Husqvarna Viking Emerald 122, that does all sorts of amazing things!  I cannot tell you how happy and grateful I am! Thank you, Sheila, angel number four!

So, by the end of the day, I was able to reflect on a very strange but ultimately lovely day.  Mr U-t-B was feeling much more comfortable (if a little spaced-out on all that medication), my sewing machine worries were over and I had been able to spoil my Mum (who is a an angel to so very many) just a little bit.  

Hope your day was as happy as mine, but without the ambulance bit!


  1. I don't know where to start....What a day!!!! Poor Mr U to B, hope he's ok soon..... your new sewing machine looks great, thank goodness for your Angels...Lovely photo of you too x

  2. What a wonderful surprise!!!!!

    I feel for poor Mr.U-T-B. Mu hubby is suffering at the moment as well. An old back injury that's giving him trouble again.

  3. Sorry, I just couldn't stop laughing at poor hubby writhing in pain with a leg up on a chair!
    Fabulous day in the end though! xxxxxxx

  4. It has to be said that in spite of the pain and all that, both Mr U-t-B and me, as well as the ambulance crew, had a bit of a laugh too!

  5. Sympathies to your hubby I too have a bad back and know how it feels - not nice. What a joy to receive a new sewing machine.

  6. Oh my, what a day. I hope Mr U-t-B is on the mend soon and that you get a chance to play with your new toy.
    What a gorgeous girl you have making the apron and cake - just wonderful. x