In between lots of chat and laughter with our visitors, cooking supper for ten and a bit of maths and French teaching, I managed to squeeze in a bit of sewing.
If you've been reading, you'll know that my old Singer turned up its toes just as I finished the bodice for the little baby dress I was making out of an old skirt of mine. I was a wee bit upset at this hiccup as I was really enjoying the project!
But then I was given a fabulous Husqvarna machine by a very kind family friend!
I finally plucked up the courage to get to grips with it yesterday morning whilst everyone else was asleep.
First to do was the scalloped hem. I found the 'steering' for this a bit tricky compared to my old machine, but I'm sure I will get better with practice.
Next the bodice needed attaching to the skirt. As the front bodice was already 'finished' with the piped edge, this wasn't done in the usual way but required tacking in place then top-stitching. I was very pleased with this, as the stitching is much neater than it would have been on my old machine.
Then came the sleeve ruffles.
And that's it, just about finished!
I just need to raid my mother-of-pearl buttons and learn to use the
(I think this will be just like my old machine - simples!)
So there it is!
A Liberty baby dress from a vintage pattern and a quarter century old skirt!