In an attempt to shame myself into finishing some long-ago abandoned projects, I am now nominating my Wednesdays to be 'Work In Progress Day'. On this day each week I will faithfully promise not to start on anything new but to push forward with the incomplete. So to get me started I have photographed a selection of the things that will be getting my attention again.
First, a tapestry that is destined to go atop a piano stool my Mum has been keeping for me. This was to be a useful extra seat in the dining room and I started it when I was expecting our daughter...15 years ago. Oh dear!
It's a William Morris design - Strawberry Thief (III).
I think I put it aside partly because our little bundle of joy had arrived and there didn't seem to be time to do it and also because it was getting twisty and I was anticipating the difficulty of getting it straight. I really need to attach it to a frame I guess.
This is what it should look like in the end...
It's from this gorgeous book, jam-packed full of the prettiest designs.
Also on my hit-list is this...
As you can see, it is a French cross-stitch. I liked it because it reminded me of my friend Lesley.
Hmmm...That sounds like I am likening her to a cow so I'd better explain.
One long-ago day (I think when I had gone to stay with her to make my wedding dress), we took a drive through the Lincolnshire countryside from her home in Louth. As we drove past a field of cows of varied breeds and colours, I think it was I who commented on the 'mixed-up cows'. This idea amused us more than somewhat - the imagined conversations of confused bovines, struggling to make sense of life and its meaning kept us giggling for some time. And it has become a bit of a long-running joke...Hence I had to buy this cross-stitch!
There's also this little heap of 'nearly there' s.
You can see that I have enough to keep me out of trouble for quite a few Wednesdays! I will let you know how I get on with things!
Yesterday was a bit of a strange day (to say the least) as Mr Used-to-Bees ended up being admitted to hospital with his back problem. I can't help but feel enormously relieved that hopefully things will soon move forward, though it is very odd not to have him here making our bedroom look untidy! On Saturday I had had to take him to the Out-of-Hours Doctor, who prescribed morphine to add to his Tramadol/Diclofenac/Paracetamol cocktail, but even this wasn't stopping the pain, and he couldn't walk more than about three paces without collapsing. So in the end an ambulance had to be called (because I couldn't get him safely out of the house to seek medical help) and he's now awaiting a scan to find out exactly what is going on. So my blogging time may well be curtailed over the next days - hopefully not weeks...
Off to work now - maybe the fairies will get stitching whilst I'm out...